Thursday, July 18, 2013

Thankfulness

So I know that this is just my personal blog and that I am trying to stay away from religion on here.  However I think that you can be thankful without being religious or spiritual so I thought that I would share this note here.

There are so many things in my life that I am thankful for.  So many things that I forget to share my thankfulness each and every day.  I am one of those people that is thankful for life experiences that have shaped me and made me into the person that I am. 

I don't like to say that I regret anything.  If I were not to have some of the experiences that I have had in life I would not be the person that I am today.  Sure there were the mistakes, the things that were hard and made me suffer through some misery but without them where would I be.  I wouldn't have the family that I have, nor would I be who I am so I can't say that I regret anything that I have ever done or anything that I have ever been through.

If you have regrets I believe that you should start looking at where you are at because of them.  For instance, it would be easy to say that I regret my relationship with my oldest son's dad.  He was an abusive man mentally and emotionally but I can't say that because without him there would not have been an Andrew and I would never regret being his mom or having him in my life.  I also would not truly love and appreciate Shane in the way that I do.  I don't know that I would have ever wanted to be a fully monogamous person without some of the bad relationships that I have had.  I think that there would have been a part of me that wondered if there was something better out there and if there was someone better for me out there.  With my experiences in life I know that there is no one in the world that could have been better for me than Shane and that there is no one else in the world that I would rather grow old with.  Odd that someone else can make you appreciate someone special so much more.

Anyways on to thankfulness....these are the things that I am most thankful for and the things that I should remember daily to be thankful for.  I once saw on FB a quote that was along these lines....if you only had today what you were thankful for yesterday, what would you have?  This has been something that has made me remember to be thankful for those in my life.

I am thankful for my family first....my amazing children:  Andrew, Althea, Huxley, and Adeline; my perfect-for-me husband, Shane; my mom; my dad; and my brother, who I know that I am lucky to have in my life even if we are completely polar opposites and could never understand each other fully.  I know that he is a part of my life for a reason and I am thankful for him and love him even if it is not something that is easily expressed or expressed often.  I am thankful for my friends.  I know that I am a bad friend.  I like to isolate myself and I hate going out of the house sometimes.  I never was this way when I didn't live here in Canton and I know that this is not the place for me to be able to live my best life, but I do know that I would like to be able to improve myself over time and become a better person overall.

No comments:

Post a Comment